Since tragedy stuck on September 11th, 2001, we have been following the development of The New World Trade Center.The lead building of the 6 tower complex is One World Trade Center, which when complete, will be the 3rd tallest building in the world.
- Footprint is nearly identical to the original Twin Towers – a 200ft. X 200ft. square footprint.
- The cost of One World Trade center estimated as of $3.8 billion dollars, it’s the single most expensive building in the world.
- Anticipated completion of One World Trade Center is 2013, only a year away.
- Tower rises from a 185 foot- windowless concrete base – designed to protect against truck bombing and other ground level terrorist attacks.
- Additional safety features includes: 3 foot thick reinforced concrete walls.
- The current base cladding design consists of angled glass fins protruding from stainless steel panels, similar to those on Tower 7.
- LED lights behind the panels will illuminate the base at night. Cable-net glass façades on all four sides of the building for the higher floors, designed by Schlaich Bergermann, will be consistent with the other buildings in the complex.
- From the 20th floor up, the square edges of the tower’s cube base are chamfered back, making the building’s shape into eight tall isosceles triangles.
- An advanced “cocoon” scaffolding system was installed to protect workers from falling. This was the first time that such a safety system had been installed on a steel structure in the city
You can view a live camera of the towers progress here!
|Rendering of Towers 2,3,4,5,7
- Tower 2- Designer and the WTC site master planner worked together so that on September 11th no shadow will be cast onto Memorial Park.
- Tower 3– Designed so there is no obstructed 360 degree view of the city, this was achieved by placing columns in places other than the towers corners.
- Tower 4- This minimalistic design, completes the WTC master plan’s to create a descending spiral into the memorial
- Tower 5- To be built on the site that is currently occupied by the remains of Deutsche Bank Building, which was damaged by the 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Tower 7- Will be the first certified green building to be constructed in New York City.
|Downtown Manhattan- Tower One progress- spring 2012